With contributions from GSA Roz Lowen, Waterville Valley Resort Class of 2017; GSA Rose Shajenko, St. Mary's Bank - America's Credit Union Museum Class of 2008; and GSA Bob Spoerl, Strawbery Banke Museum Class of 2007.
There were so many fun things to do at the Farm and Forest Expo this year!
GSA Roz had this to say about her time helping out in the KidZone area:
The 4H exhibitors had scientific fun projects. One had herb seeds to plant. The children brought their planted seeds home to grow. They each also broke apart soaked bean seeds to see the little embryo inside.
Another exhibitor had the children draw a picture on coffee filter paper and then spray it with water. The colors spread to form a chromagraph. They came back when it dried to pinch the paper in the middle and cinch it with a pipe cleaner to make a butterfly!
A third exhibitor had 2 boys operate a stationary bicycle they modified to run a blender. They made smoothies that they gave out that were made in the blender.
Fun Facts About Max the Moose
We had a new job this year, minding Max the Moose and helping guests take photos with him. GSA Rose S. was the first person to do this, and she got so many questions about Max that she found someone who could help - GSA Bob S, who also happens to work for the State and often chauffeurs Max.
- Max was manufactured by The Stuffed Animal House in 2000
- He weighs in at 180 pounds, it only takes two adults to lift him!
- Valued at five thousand dollars, but Max is priceless to New Hampshire
- He is a Goodwill Ambassador, employed by the State of New Hampshire: Department of Natural and Cultural Resources
- Max spends his summers at the Flume’s Visitor Center
- And he winters at Springfield Rest Area – Northbound, Seabrook Rest Area (Welcome Center), and NH Welcome Center – Salem, NH.
- He travels on business, and attends trade shows in Boston, Massachusetts and New York City
- “Max is available for other meetings (conservation/forestry/recreation related) requests go to DNCR (Department of Natural and Cultural Resources)”
- He was proud to attend U.S. Senator Jeanne Shaheen and the NH Congressional Delegation's “Experience New Hampshire Reception” on June 7, 2017 in Washington, D.C.
- Likes to hobnob with politicians, has been photographed with Senator John McCain
- Max loves to have his picture taken
- He ives to make people SMILE
- Hobbies: Skateboarding - that’s how Max travels from place to place
For more photos of the fun we had at the Farm and Forest Expo, click here!